Estimated reading time: 3 minutes
By Dr. William “Bill” Ambrose
In the 1820’s a thriving village and post office were established near Osage Creek in what would later be Courtois Township, Crawford County, Mo. The village was named Osage after the beautiful stream that flowed near-by. This village was located on land owned by James Sanders, a native of Ky. who had moved to Mo, in the early 1800’s. He first settled in Washington County, Mo. After receiving numerous land grants, he and his family moved to Crawford Co. His first land grant, in 1828, was an eighty acre tract on which he established his home.
The Osage Post Office established here served the southern part of Crawford Co. for many years. Mr. Sanders served as post master from 11, 30. 1837 to 8, 23, 1859. By the time of the Civil War, the village
of Osage served as the center of a net-work of roads. These road entered Osage from all directions and a birds-eye view would have resembled a wagon wheel with Osage as the hub. Roads lead southeast to Harmony and Webster, south to Granite Dyke, east to Potosi, northeast to Richwoods, north to LeasUfg, northwest to Steelville, southwest to Montauk, and due north to Bourbon. The oldest of these roads was the one leading to Webster in Washington Co. From Webster the road followed Hazel Creek to to the confluence of this stream and Courtois Creek. At this junction the the streams and crossed over “Six Ridge”‘ and into the village of Osage.
The Osage the road crossed the creek at the Cornelius Brickey farm, wound its way over the ridge to Dry Creek and on into the village of Steelville. It was over this road that the displaced Indians of the Southeastern United States traveled on their infamous “Trail of Tears” journey. They camped in the fertile valley of Osage Creek, and down through the years the old timers told about finding numerous spears, arrowheads, and other relics, perhaps left behind by these hapless native Americans.
Twenty-five years later this same Webster-Osage road served as an escape route for the remnants of General Thomas Ewing’s Federal troops who were retreating north after the Battle of Pilot Knob in 9, 1864. These troops with Confederate Generals Shelby and Marmaduke in hot pursuit, marched into the village of Osage, 9, 28. 1864. Many of the names of the early settlers who were patrons of Osage Post Office are still familiar names in Crawford and surrounding counties. The following is only a
partial list: Putnam Trask; Marvin Trask; Jerret Brickey; Peter Brickey; William Brickey, Sr.; Jeremiah Brickey; Cornelius Bricky; Samuel Coleman; Thomas Coleman; John Chandler, Samuel Chandler; William A. Bry
ant; Thomas Whitehcad; Samuel Tumbough; Joseph Turnbough; John Tumbough; George Tumbough; Jeremiah Turnbough; Patton McMurtry; William Holderman; Dabney Martin, Sr.; Simeon J. Martin; John W. Martin; Thomas L. Martin; Joseph Campbell; William Carroll; John Carroll; William Halbert; James Halbert; Joshua Halbert; Nathan Halbert; Willicim H. Matthews; Thomas Jamison; George Bates; Green Huitt; James Huitt; Lemuai Huitt; James Skaggs; James H. Mountry; William Augustus Moutray; Samuel Bunyard; Joshua Kinworthy; Job Harmon; Mary Dobkins; John Dobklns; Christian Eamey and John Sanders.
After the Civil War, the post office at Osage was moved to another location. The new location was on the west side of Courtois Creek near the confluence of Lost Creek and Courtois Creek. On 11, 12, 1886
Post master Cyrus N. Banta moved the post office to its present location on the cast side of Courtois Creek, and it was renamed Berryman. In the 150 years since the establishment of Osage Post Office, many other changes have taken place. The village of Webster Is now called Palmer, and state Highway Y now follows the old Webster road on “Six Mile Ridge.’ The beautiful stream that was once called Osage is now known as Huzzah Creek. On January 28, 1898 a new post office named Kuzzah was established at the site of the original Osage Post Office.
11-8-79 THE CRAWFORD MIRROR
If you have any suggestions, comments, or critiques please email Chris.Dunn@GeoVelo.com
Links you might enjoy: